Building on its recent alliance with Sega Entertainment Inc., which will premiere 11 games for the Microsoft Xbox video game system, Microsoft Corp. today announced that Sega is creating Xbox versions of its top-selling Sega Sports 2K2 franchise, as well as “Crazy Taxi Next” (working title) and “House of the Dead 3.” The games will ship in the Xbox 2001 launch window in North America. Microsoft also announced that Sega plans to develop titles in its Sega Sports 2K3 franchise for the Xbox broadband online game service, which will launch summer of 2002. The alliance ensures that future Sega games for Xbox will take advantage of the broadband Ethernet connection and hard disk built into every Xbox system.
“Sega games will be awesome on Xbox this fall, and once the Xbox broadband online gaming service turns on in 2002, our 2K3 sports lineup will deliver some of the most powerful gaming experiences ever,” said Peter Moore, president and COO at Sega of America. “Xbox gives our developers a great deal of flexibility to develop games and gameplay that has never been played before.”
“Gamers should be really excited about what Sega’s talented game artists are creating on Xbox, now and in the future,” said J Allard, general manager of the Xbox platform at Microsoft. “Sega’s creative artists are imagining scenarios for the Xbox online service that will set new standards for what gamers should expect in video games.”
The news was made in advance of the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2001, one of the world’s largest annual games industry trade shows.
The current list of Sega games to be shipped for Xbox in 2001 includes the following:
· “Crazy Taxi Next” (working title). Pedestrians will need to watch out when the “Crazy Taxi” franchise hits Xbox.
· “House of the Dead 3.” The horror has returned. Players will need every ounce of their reflexes and marksmanship skills if they hope to survive.
· “JSRF – Jet Set Radio Future” (working title). Players should get ready for a cutting-edge soundtrack, a groundbreaking artistic look and insane new tricks. It’s all about extreme skating, extreme action and extreme style.
· “Sega GT 2002.” This adrenaline-filled car-racing game features amazingly real vehicles and graphics.
· “Panzer Dragoon” (working title). Xbox owners will be the first to return to the stunning world of “Panzer Dragoon.” They can take flight once again to explore the lush beauty, fierce technology and mysterious dragon-breeding culture of one Sega’s most sought-after franchises.
· “Sega Sports NFL 2K2.” The substance, realism and competition of “Sega Sports NFL 2K2” charges onto the powerful Xbox.
· “Sega Sports NBA 2K2.” Touted as the best basketball game released last year, “NBA 2K2” makes its debut on Xbox and is sure to rise to the top of the basketball ranks.
Sega Sports games that will ship in 2002 and take advantage of the Xbox broadband online gaming service include “Sega Sports NBA 2K3,” “Sega Sports NFL 2K3,” “Sega Sports World Series Baseball 2K3” and “Sega Sports NCAA College Football 2K3.”
Tags: crazy taxi, jet grind radio, jet set radio future, panzer dragoon, sega gt 2002, sega sports, the house of the dead, xbox